bluespec.com Forum Index bluespec.com
Bluespec Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Floating Point Operations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Designing with BSV's Rules, Interfaces, ...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowinsm

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Floating Point Operations Reply with quote

Hi I am currently trying to convert my program from using Int#(16) to using Reals or Floats. I have read throughout the forum that currently bluespec only supports Real data types at compile time.
My program requires the use of reals/floats at run time and so i have been looking into using the floating point package found in the Math library.

I am currently running bluespec version: 2015.09.beta2

Is there any documentation for this package? If not is anyone able to assist with getting something like the following to compile?

Code:
q <= (q && (xin1 <= (xin2 + eps)))

where q is a Bool,
xin1, xin2, and eps are originally Int#(16) but should be float

Thanks
quark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Floating Point Operations Reply with quote

I don't believe that there is any documentation besides the source code. The package defines instances of the Ord and Arith typeclasses for FloatingPoint, so the comparison operators (like "<=") and the arithmetic operators (like "+") are overloaded for this type. So you can certainly write expressions like this:
Code:
FloatingPoint#(24, 8) xin1 = ... ;
FloatingPoint#(24, 8) xin2 = ...;
FloatingPoint#(24, 8) eps = ...;
Bool q = True;
for (...)
  q <= q && (xin1 <= (xin2 + eps));

The FloatingPoint type takes two type parameters, which are the bit widths of the mantissa and the exponent. (In the source code, these are usually named "m" and "e", in parameterized functions.)

You can create a value of type FloatingPoint from an integer or real literal:
Code:
FloatingPoint#(24,8) x = 17;
FloatingPoint#(24,8) y = 3.14159;

These expressions implicitly use the "fromInteger" and "fromReal" functions, which you can also use explicitly:
Code:
Integer xi = 17;
FloatingPoint#(24,8) x = fromInteger(xi);
Real yr = 3.14159;
FloatingPoint#(24,8) y = fromReal(yr);

There does not appear to be a pre-defined function for creating a FloatingPoint from an Int, however you could write one yourself, that creates a FloatingPoint value by setting the mantissa and exponent fields with the right values.
quark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Floating Point Operations Reply with quote

Ah, I may have spoken too soon about the comparison operators. They appear to only work at compile-time, on static values. If you need to operator on values from registers (or other state), use the "compareFP" function, and decide how to handle the NaN case.

This issue was brought up in another forum post. See http://bluespec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2100#2100
rowinsm

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification! Looks like it'll take some extra effort to get this to work nicely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    bluespec.com Forum Index -> Designing with BSV's Rules, Interfaces, ... All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: